The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Becoming a healthier version of yourself

Campbellsville University’s Wellness Center has plans for future improvements
Daniela Benavides
Brandon Lakes (right) director of the Betty Dobbins Heilman Wellness Center, is pictured at the smoothie bar, Simple Blends, which is located inside the facility. It’s equipped with new products and high protein smoothies for students to consume before or after their workouts. Also pictured is Miguel Jaldin who works at Simple Blends.

If you are a Campbellsville student, you are probably aware of the Betty Dobbins Heilman Wellness Center. A complete place for students to do their workouts and get together.

The Wellness Center is equipped with a smoothie bar, “Simple Blends,” where you can find protein shakes, pre-workout, energy drinks, protein bars and more. This location also includes a walking track, a cardio area, two weight rooms, a basketball court and locker rooms. You can also sign up for free spinning, Zumba, yoga classes and more.

Brandon Lakes, director of the Wellness Center, has a clear vision of what he would like to improve in the future.

“I have received a lot of feedback and I am wanting to implement some changes,” he said. “I want to bring new cardio equipment to the wellness center for students to have a better workout experience. New machines that you can do different types of workouts to hit more muscle groups. Along with this, there are a few upgrades and different weights/bars I want to bring in for a more diverse workout. Examples such as easy curl bars (10 pounds to 100 pounds), stretch rack, cable cross machine downstairs, safety squat bar, combo hex bar and more.”

“Our cardio equipment is 12 years old,” he said. “I visited ‘True Fitness’ in St. Louis and loved the equipment and machines they offered. Their Alpine Runner treadmill can reach a 30-percent incline for a maximum hill workout, or a Spectrum Elliptical that you can adjust your stride from 13’ to 30’.”

Lakes has been working on this and would like to implement these changes by the fall of 2024.

Besides equipment, Lakes wants to bring a new source of support for students that could change lives.

“The Wellness Center brings a lot of purpose to students,” he said. “People come here to hang out, work out, play basketball, but it is more than that. Daniel, my assistant, and I want the Wellness Center to be more than just a gym, we want to team up with nutritionists and other professionals to provide a more holistic health experience. Also, would like to partner with dining hall food service, to help inform students about learning to make better food choices in the cafeteria.”

The Wellness Center is more than just a “gym,” according to Lakes.

“This is a place for students to feel safe and welcomed,” he said. “I want this place to be somewhere where if you feel alone in your dorm room, you can come here, workout, and be a healthier version of yourself. Come here to have fun, play and enjoy.”

One of the most visited places at the Wellness Center is “Simple Blends,” a smoothie bar. However, it does not get enough exposure and some people do not know about it.

Daniel Montalvo, assistant director of the Wellness Center, believes “Simple Blends” needs to get more exposure for students.

“I have heard from students that have been here for a long time and they did not know we had a smoothie bar,” he said. “My vision for Simple Blends is to have more people visit us, hang out with friends and fuel up before or after their workouts.”

Simple Blends is a place that offers protein shakes, pre-workout, and some beverages for students who can purchase them with their flex dollars or a card, no cash. However, Montalvo wants to add more.

“We had a company to approach us about protein bars and energy drinks,” he said. “We recently partnered up with ‘XS’, their ingredients are all-natural and clean. They have all the necessary elements to support students on their performance while working out.”

Graduate assistant, Lauren Woodcock, attends the Wellness Center regularly and says that this space has what it needs to work out.

“My main goal is to stay in shape after finishing my college career as an athlete,” she said. “Over summer, me and some friends are planning a three to five-day hike on the Appalachian Trail, so building more strength and preparing my muscles for the long haul is important.

Woodcock finds this place helpful for the CU community, but believes some changes need to be done.

“As a student/staff member, the gym being on campus and accessible makes it easy for myself as an international student,” she said. “I don’t have to travel off campus or worry about finding a ride as it’s just a quick walk away. However, I would like to see a bigger gym built with multiple workout equipment and a space that feels open and free able. With the basketball court occupying most of the location, that floor space would be better utilized for more equipment.”

The Betty Dobbins Heilman Wellness Center is open and fully operating for students, faculty and staff from Monday to Friday from 6 a.m. to midnight, Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sundays from noon to 10 p.m.