The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Missions week: Prayer tent impacts students on CU campus

Students, staff and others from Campbellsville University pray for health and safety for student athletes and students in the marching band during a 24-hour prayer period, which was held Sept. 27-28. (Photo provided by Dr. Twyla K. Hernandez)

The lights are dimmed.

A single spotlight falls on a tent in the Student Activity Center.

Students, staff and others from Campbellsville University pray for health and safety for student athletes and students in the marching band during a 24-hour prayer period, which was held Sept. 27-28.

Posters of CU teams were set up around the inside of the tent, presenting the names of all of the athletes and prayers of encouragement from the coaches. The tent was set up by Dr. Twyla K. Hernandez and students from her evangelism course in the Christian missions major.

Dr. Hernandez said she believes this year’s prayer tent impacted more students than normal, considering three-fourths of the CU campus is comprised of athletes and marching band members.

“It’s hopefully something that would live on beyond just this 24-hour period,” she said. “We hope that it’s a spiritual emphasis that transcends anything that’s divisive. It’s just all of us going before God and holding up to him our fellow persons here on campus… I think it creates an overall prayerful atmosphere for our whole campus, at least that’s the hope.”

Two students, Gavin Barrows and Katelyn Smith, stayed during the 24-hour open prayer to pray and give support.

“Being in this evangelism class has really opened my eyes to ways that work for evangelism,” Barrows said. “I can’t wait to do this again. It’s already helped so many people.”

Teams visited the tent, as well, to pray for their seasons and safety.

“Seeing a few of the wrestlers come in and pray just really showed the team’s unity,” said Smith. “That’s really important because it impacts friendships and relationships with the Lord.”

Praying is an important part of the Christian religion. Praying by yourself in a time of need could feel lonely, according to Barrows. Praying with people, though, could increase community and friendship.

“If you pray by yourself, it’s more of just you and God,” Barrows said. “But, if you’re praying for others, you can find community in a Christian setting, which is completely necessary, especially right now.”