The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Dining on dissent: A card culinary review

Student+Nicholas+Hardin+holds+up+a+half-eaten+protest+card+on+Oct.+18+when+two+so-called+%E2%80%98street+preachers%E2%80%99+came+to+Campbellsville+University.+John+McGlone%2C+63%2C+and+Jesse+Aaron%2C+23%2C+handed+out+information+cards+and+verbally+accosted+students%2C+faculty+and+any+passersby.+They%E2%80%99re+part+of+a+larger+group+called+Pin+Point+Evangelism.+McGlone+and+Aaron+consider+themselves+born-again+Christians.+
Luke Glasscock
Student Nicholas Hardin holds up a half-eaten protest card on Oct. 18 when two so-called ‘street preachers’ came to Campbellsville University. John McGlone, 63, and Jesse Aaron, 23, handed out information cards and verbally accosted students, faculty and any passersby. They’re part of a larger group called Pin Point Evangelism. McGlone and Aaron consider themselves born-again Christians.

Taste: The card offered an initial note of skepticism with a faint aftertaste of righteous indignation. Not the kind of flavor one would seek out regularly, but certainly unique.

Texture: As expected from a protest card, it was a bit tough to chew, hinting at the resolute convictions of its creator. The fibrous quality was reminiscent of al dente pasta, albeit with less appetizing implications.

Presentation: While not traditionally served on a plate, the messages and designs on the card added a visual element to the experience, albeit a somewhat controversial one. Its inedible nature was clear, but its purpose as a tool for communication was undeniable.

Pairing: A bold choice would be to pair this with a glass of moral ambiguity. A lighter option might be a refreshing sip of open-mindedness to help wash it down.

Overall: While consuming a protest card is not recommended for its culinary value or health benefits, it does serve as a symbolic act of defiance and digesting contrasting perspectives. This dish gets 2/5 stars for taste but 5/5 for thought provocation.