The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

CU is working to address housing issues, concerns

Oriana Espinoza Mendoza
Campbellsville University’s female students currently have two housing options to choose from, Stapp Hall and the Village.

When going to college, housing is one of the most important things students look at because it’s the place they will be spending most of their time. Campbellsville University offers several options for on-campus housing, but over the years students have faced a lot of challenges with the living conditions.

Estefania Orihuela, a senior at CU who has lived in Stapp Hall for the past four years, said that she chose to live there because it was an economic alternative. Also, it’s close to her classes and to the campus in general. However, Stapp Hall could use some improvements, she said.

“The cleanliness of the bathrooms could improve if students would properly clean after themselves,” Orihuela said. “This living facility could also improve by cleaning the grates from where the air comes in, as these normally come out polluted due to mold and turn students sick.”

Orihuela recommends adding alternatives to women’s housing. Women currently only have two options to choose from, Stapp Hall or the Village.

Samuel Barrios, a freshman who lives in South-West Hall, chose to live there because it’s the cheapest option for men’s living. He said, so far, his experience has been good, but there are some things that he thinks can improve.

“The cleanliness of the bathroom during the weekends is probably the thing that can improve,” Barrios said. “This is something that can lead to serious health problems.”

Besides the bathroom problems, Barrios said that South Hall is relatively small compared to the other housing options that men have, and it is one of the reasons why it is the cheapest option to live in. Barrios said the loudness is another problem in South Hall even though they have quiet hours, a lot of people don’t respect it and sometimes he can’t even study in his room.

“It is annoying when you are trying to study or just want to be quiet in your room,” Barrios said.

Besides all these problems, Barrios said that the location of South Hall is ideal. He likes that it’s close to the buildings that he needs to get to during the week. He said he can walk and be on time for class and it’s close to the baseball field where he practices every day.

Elijah Coffey, director of residence life, said the CU family continues showing upward growth and additional facilities are being discussed. Currently, CU has a total of approximately 500-plus Village beds and 650-plus traditional and suite-style beds.

“Our most common concerns appear to be the desire for additional parking and self-cook options close to the residence halls,” Coffey said.

He said one of CU’s priorities is to support the growing campus population.

“Changes and improvements remain in active discussion,” Coffey said. “Many of these changes simply take time and logistical adjustments. Location, fire marshal standards, property boundaries, building zones and budget all come into play in addressing many of these needs.”

The launch of StarRez at CU in Spring 23 was a huge step forward in allowing them to better serve students, he said. The process generally involves renewal and selection of housing assignments by those with the most completed credit hours first, and then working the way down to incoming students. CU recognizes students want to have a role in their room assignment, and StarRez allows students to meet potential roommates and select from available rooms all in one housing portal, according to Coffey. In the past, students were limited in making a request, hoping it was granted. But now, students can take a direct and active role in the process, he said.

“I will offer one tip,” Coffey said. “Completing instructions by the deadline and logging in to the portal when you are notified of your opening will greatly better the chances of finding the best room for you and your roommates.”

Coffey said CU’s plans for a new village unit is in the works.

“Administration has been very helpful and attentive to our needs,” he said. “We have shared and felt the support of Dr. Hopkins, Rusty Hollingsworth, Andy Woods and the entire administration.”