The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

The tale of the CU History Club

Campbellsville University is home to many clubs on its campus, including the History Club. The History Club is an extracurricular club focused on the history of the world. Whether it be with meeting up after classes on campus or travelling to historic places.

“We go watch movies like Oppenheimer,” said Wendy Wood, history professor. “We like to travel and take one big trip a year where we go somewhere historical. Last year, we went to Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown.”

Dr. Wendy Wood is a history professor and in charge of the CU History Club.
(Evan Walker)

The History Club was founded in 2006 by Wood and students Amanda Ford and Lauren Ford. The History Club has grown to have multiple members throughout the years to teach students and get them interested in history during college. The History Club also goes to conferences where they present papers and win scholarships.

However, one challenge the History Club faces is raising money to go on these trips.

“The biggest thing is fundraising because we don’t get money from the university,” Wood said. “The History Club would have to pay for it on its own or raise the money.”

One main goal for the club is to bring students together, according to Wood.

“A lot of the kids that were in the club are lifelong friends,” she said. “They’re in each other’s weddings. There was one group back in 2010-11, they are each other’s Godparents for their kids. You get to form that lifelong connection.”

The History Club also brings students together through the events they organize and the trips they go on, according to CU senior Alex Rhoton.

Senior Alex Rhoton is a member of the History Club. (E)

“The people make it 10 times better,” Rhoton said.

People join the History Club for a variety of reasons. Whether it be because of the trips or because of the friends they made when they first arrived at the club meeting.

“Originally, I was a student here from 2007 to 2011, and I joined the History Club because they were going to Obama’s first inauguration,” said Matthew Egbert, CU history instructor. “I thought, well, this is a historical moment. Back then, I was a republican, so I didn’t care that Obama got elected. I just wanted to go to a presidential inauguration. So, I joined the History Club for that, and then I stuck around.”

The History Club will be having a fundraiser in November, selling homemade pies. For more information, contact Wood, 270-789-5331,

[email protected].