The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

CU students Carli Tackett and Jimena Martinez enjoy the 2024 Solar Eclipse.
(Photo by Cathryn Jones, Campbellsville Universitys social media manager)
Nature’s gift
April 23, 2024

New fitness classes underway at Betty Dobbins Heilman Wellness Center

Priya Latchayya
Daniel Montalvo leads a morning Bootcamp class recently. Also pictured are Olivia Cavero, Paula Puche, Arianna Ortega and Oriana Da Silva.

New fitness classes started at Campbellsville University’s Betty Dobbins Heilman Wellness Center on Oct. 16.

According to Brandon Lakes, wellness center director, these new classes will better serve CU students.

“I think that fitness classes are a way to serve people who are not comfortable with exercising by themselves, or don’t really know what to do ,” he said.

Lakes said that he tried to organize these classes quickly, without giving students a lot of notice. The classes will include circuit, dance, bootcamp and spin. Circuit and bootcamp classes started Oct. 16, but the dance and spin classes have not started yet.

“My key is to be consistent in the program,” he said. “That means meet regularly with a solid number of participants.”

Lakes’ plans are for the classes to continue to grow.

“We are going to hit it harder next semester,” he said.

Schedule of fitness classes

Circuit: Tuesday, Thursday 6:30 a.m. to 7:15 a.m.

Bootcamp: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6:30 a.m. to 7:15 a.m.

Tuesday, Thursday 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.

Daniel Montalvo, the new assistant director of the wellness center and NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) certified personal trainer, is going to lead the classes.  

“My goal is to help students become the healthiest versions of themselves,” he said.

According to Montalvo, 50 students took a survey, which helped him decide which classes to teach. He said that dance and Zumba classes were the most popular. He’s currently looking for a dance instructor.

Montalvo said that he will include three different versions of exercises in these classes – beginner, basic and advanced – for participants of all fitness levels.

He said his classes will include a five-minute warm up, followed by 20 to 30 minutes of exercise and five to eight minutes to cool down with some stretching.

There will be seven to ten bootcamp classes, each will be a little different, Montalvo said. The bootcamp classes will focus on cardio, total body, upper body, lower body and strength.

There will be seven to ten circuit classes that will include a variety of exercises, he said.

“I am here for the students,” Montalvo said. “Any way I can help them, I would be satisfied. This is the best way I know how to help.”

Among the participants, Olivia Cavero, a CU student, said she’s really enjoying the new fitness classes. She chose Bootcamp class because she attended a similar class in her hometown.

“I really like this project because it’s a personal class since we are just five girls and all of us are friends,” she said. “Also, I think that it’s a good structured course because it does not take too much of my time, but I feel it’s very effective.”

According to her, having class early in the morning is beneficial because it allows her to be more productive in the mornings and have free afternoons to spend with friends.

Arianna Ortega is another student and attendant of the bootcamp class in campus.

“I decided to sign up for the bootcamp because I wanted to change my lifestyle and take better care of myself,” she said. “When I saw the opportunity, I thought it was great because whenever I went to the gym, I always didn’t know what to do and now that I have someone to guide me it’s much easier.”

According to her this course is helping her so much, she is feeling more productive during the day, and she has always so much fun.

“I think it’s a course that everyone should take because you have someone to guide you and motivate you and of course, if you go with your friends, it’s much more fun,” she said.

Sofia Ramsey, a student-athlete at CU, said she would like to attend the dance classes once they begin because she thinks that dancing is the most fun way to exercise.

“It can be an activity to do with your friends,” she said. “I always wanted to dance since I was a kid, but unfortunately, I never had a chance. This new program is giving me the opportunity of a lifetime.”

Ramsey said she’s excited to start these new fitness classes because they are an opportunity to get in shape, be healthier and make new friends.

“My goal for this experience is to have fun, meet new people and burn some calories,” she said. “I cannot wait to get involved in this project.”