The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Visit Peru for its scenery, history and food

Daniela Benavides is pictured in Arequipa in 2018.

Peru is a multicultural destination that has to be visited at least once during a person’s lifetime. Ranked as the No.1 best cuisine in the world, Peru has the best cuisine to offer globally. One of the restaurants being recognized as the best restaurant on the planet, “Central,” demonstrates that Peru dominates the world in gastronomy. One of my favorite dishes without a doubt is ceviche, aji de gallina and for some dessert, picarones.

Peru is a country where you can find one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Machu Picchu, which is located in Cusco, a place full of history and beautiful scenery. This must-visit location, praised for its rich cultural legacy, various landscapes, and exquisite cuisine that is recognized across the world, has something to offer every kind of traveler.

I have been living in Peru since I was 14 years old. The moment I stepped in Peru, I fell in love with it. I have been living in Lima, the capital, ever since. In addition to Lima, there are many more cities that you will fall in love with. Arequipa, Cusco, Trujillo, Ica and many more places where you will find amazing landscapes, nature, tourist activities and more.

Daniela Benavides is pictured with her mother, Adriana, in Machu Picchu on Oct. 9, 2019.

In my eight years of living in Peru, I have had the chance to visit all the cities I listed above. On school trips, or just family vacations. I even had to travel back and visit one more time because of how beautiful it was.

One of my favorite destinations is Ica. This region is four hours driving from Lima and attracts visitors who want to explore the landscape with a wide range of entertaining activities.

Daniela and her family (Adriana, Andres and Laura) enjoy a trip in the dunes of Ica. Behind them, the beauty of the oasis surrounds a small town.

The dunes of Ica’s huge deserts have preserved a historical tradition since its first days. It has an oasis that looks like it belongs in a movie.

During my trip to Ica, I was able to stay in a hotel in the middle of the oasis, where you can go out and sandboard and do activities. It was one of my favorite memories.

Moving on, Cusco. City of Machu Picchu. I am sure many of you know what Machu Picchu is, and maybe you would like to visit. Machu Picchu is an ancient city high up in the mountains of Peru. It was built 600 years ago by the Incas, who are an indigenous group in South America. This attraction is very famous for its impressive stone buildings and breathtaking views. It is said they used stone tools to shape and cut stones rather than wheels or iron utensils, which is impressive. Trust me, once you get the opportunity to go, it feels unreal. The amazing landscapes, and the history behind them, are what make it stand out.

Peru is one of the most diverse countries in the world. If you ever get the chance to visit, don’t think twice and go. You will not regret this unbelievable experience.