The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Coffee: The grounds for community

Tuscan Hills Coffee open for business
Elizabeth Butler
Aerial McKinnon, co-owner of Tuscan Hills Coffee Company, said it’s always been her dream to open a coffee shop. Tuscan Hills Coffee Company is located on 200 Lebanon Avenue and is open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

For many people, both college students and non-students alike, coffee has become the basis for community and bonding. Quality coffee is important, and Tuscan Hills Coffee Company now provides that for the community of Campbellsville.

Tuscan Hills Coffee Company opened in April 2024 as a small trailer in the parking lot of an old car dealership. Now, the business has grown exponentially with customers flooding to the trailer at all hours for a taste of coffee and community.

Aerial McKinnon, co-owner of Tuscan Hills Coffee Company, attributes her love and passion for coffee to her years of working as a barista after high school. After she became a paramedic, she considered being a barista as a side hustle. While opening a coffee shop has been a long-term goal, the financial means were not always available. With time, options were opened, and McKinnon now works at her dream job.

“It’s always been my dream to open a coffee shop,” said McKinnon. “That’s what happened here, and finally, [my] dreams came true.”

While the risk of failure was present, the reward would eventually be worth it, as community support has been high. McKinnon went on to add that Campbellsville needed a place for people to connect and build community bonds, and believed she and her fellow co-owner, a silent partner who chose not to be named, could provide that.

“Sometimes customers will come in—either they’re having a bad day, or maybe they’re miserable, or they’re smiling ear-to-ear,” said McKinnon. “By the time they leave, they’re just happy to be there. We have great conversations, we get to know each other, and that’s the community.”

McKinnon added that the end goal of Tuscan Hills is to have a brick-and-mortar store for people to gather. She also wants to be able to bring the trailer to festivals and events, and to travel to different towns and cities to expand her business.

Tuscan Hills Coffee Company has been especially popular among CU students. CU Junior Kate-Lin Hollenbach said that the customer service is unmatched, and staff are always attentive and caring. She added that the drive-thru has been convenient for herself and others. The multitude of flavors and options for coffee and non-coffee drinks impressed her as well.

“The layout of it being a drive-thru is fantastic for quick runs whenever you need them,” said Hollenbach. “I’m especially impressed with the number of flavors they have.”

Tuscan Hills Coffee Company is located on 200 Lebanon Avenue and is open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.