The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

CU students Carli Tackett and Jimena Martinez enjoy the 2024 Solar Eclipse.
(Photo by Cathryn Jones, Campbellsville Universitys social media manager)
Nature’s gift
April 23, 2024

My biggest goal in life

How many times people ask you, “What do you want to do with your life after college?”

It has happened to me so many times. I can guarantee you that it’s a hard and tricky question.

What is my purpose in life?

I reflected and prayed about it.

Of course, I want to have my own family, strengthen my relationship with God and be successful.

However, my biggest goal in life is to be an inspiration to other people.

Since I was little, I watched TED Talks, and I was telling my mum « I want to be like them!!! » I want to share ideas, point of views and knowledge with others.

Luckily, I have never been shy, especially in high school my extrovert side developed even more. I love to stay around people, have conversations with them, get to know their stories and let them know mine.

Stories are unique. I cannot experience other people’s life experiences, and this fascinates me the most.  I may have been through something that other people may not even imagine and vice versa.

My story matters, as well as theirs.

Right now, I am going to tell you more about me.

I come from Italy, and I am 20 years old. At the moment, I am a sophomore at Campbellsville University. My biggest strength has always been my family. I have two amazing parents and a brother that goes to college with me at CU. However, my family has been one of my most significant inspiration in life. My parents immigrate from Mauritius Islands to Italy when they were 18 years old. They did not have money, relatives or friends, house, they did not know the language and they did not have our same technological means. However, little by little, they found a job, learnt Italian, built their home, and made a family. They accomplished everything in life. They always taught me that in life I can do anything I want and become the best version of myself.

That’s where my goal came from. The way they have taught me that I can do it, I want to teach it to others too. I am not extraordinary, I am just an ordinary girl that despite difficulties and struggles in life, is right now studying in the States.

My life has been different for sure, I did not have other family apart from my parents to spend time with. I never received Christmas gifts, because mom and dad did not want to spend money for “useless” things. When you are a kid, it seems more like a drama, but growing up I understood the reason behind it. God has always watched over me and protected me. He provided me everything I needed, a loving family, a good living environment, friends and interesting challenges. I consider myself a blessed person.

Indeed, during my childhood, adolescence, I have always felt the love and the support of my family and friends, every decision I would take they were there for me.  During my last year of high school, I wanted to travel and study abroad, with sacrifices and big determination and support I made it.

Right now, I am here in Campbellsville, Kentucky and this is a big thing for me. I cultivated my dream of playing golf, study and travel the States after high school.

Lots of people did not believe in me, or at least they never thought it would be possible. But I made it.

If somebody would tell me: “Hey in your twenties you are going to the States, attend college and play golf at the same time.” I would have probably answered, “NO SHOT!”

Life is unpredictable, every person has a goal in their life, something they are striving for. It is just a matter to analyze deeply your inner self and work hard for it.

Being an inspiration means a lot to me.

I want to share my story and show to other people that if I did it, it’s not impossible. I want to be a person you look up to, the person you see on the street and say, if she did it, I can do it too.

My encouragement is for everybody out there that want to make a difference in their life:

“You can do anything you want in your life,” as my mom and dad used to say to me…