The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Reported assault still under investigation

Alleged victim was not injured

Students and staff at Campbellsville University were notified via email Friday, Jan. 26, that a CU student was the victim of an assault on campus by an “unknown person.”

No further information was provided, leaving many unanswered questions.

The Campus Times contacted Kyle Davis, director of campus safety and security, and requested additional information about the alleged assault. While Davis didn’t provide any further details, on Wednesday, Jan. 31, Suzanne Grubesic, director of marketing and communication, said the investigation was ongoing, and did provide some added information.

According to Grubesic, the reported assault occurred on campus, “generally around the village complex,” on Wednesday evening, Jan. 25. The alleged female victim reported the incident on Friday, Jan. 26.

The alleged assailant was reported to be wearing a hoodie and was approximately 5 feet, 10 inches tall, Grubesic said. The alleged victim couldn’t confirm if the person was male or female. No further details about the suspect were provided to campus officials.

Further information about the nature of the assault was not provided, but Grubesic said the incident was not a sexual assault.

“There was no sexual contact of any kind or nature reported,” she said.

According to Grubesic, the alleged victim didn’t report any injuries.

“If any new details emerge, or any perceived threat to the safety of students on campus persists, another alert will be issued immediately,” she said.

If criminal offenses occur on or near campus, the Clery Act requires colleges and universities to evaluate if there is a serious or ongoing threat to the campus community to determine if a timely warning needs to be issued to all staff and students. In the event of an immediate, significant danger to the health or safety of the campus community, campus officials may issue an emergency notification. This notification can include the entire campus or be limited to a specific area deemed to be at risk.

Anyone who believes he or she has been the victim of a crime or has witnessed a crime should contact the Office of Campus Safety and Security, 270-403-3611, or call 911.

To learn more about the Clery Act, go to: www.clerycenter.org/the-clery-act.