The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

CU students Carli Tackett and Jimena Martinez enjoy the 2024 Solar Eclipse.
(Photo by Cathryn Jones, Campbellsville Universitys social media manager)
Nature’s gift
April 23, 2024

CU student allegedly murdered, suspect arrested

Preliminary autopsy results show cause of death was asphyxiation by manual strangulation
Campbellsville Police arrested Charles E. Escalera, 21, Saturday evening, Feb. 24. He’s being charged with murder and second-degree burglary.

A Campbellsville University student was discovered dead in his dorm room early Saturday morning, Feb. 24, and local law enforcement officials have arrested a CU student for his murder.

Campbellsville Police responded to campus at 12:43 a.m. in reference to an unresponsive male. The student, Josiah Malachi Kilman, 18, a freshman from Montana, was transported to Taylor Regional Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

According to the Taylor County Coroner’s Office, preliminary autopsy results show the cause of death was asphyxiation by manual strangulation.

Campbellsville Police arrested CU student Charles E. Escalera, 21, on Saturday evening, Feb. 24, inside a barn located on the Green County/Taylor County line.

He’s being charged with murder and second-degree burglary. He’s currently being held in the Taylor County Detention Center on $2 million bond.

Escalera appeared in court Monday morning, Feb. 26, and pled not guilty. 

A preliminary hearing is scheduled to be held at 8:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 6.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Campus Times

Your donation will support the student journalists of Campbellsville University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.