The Campus Times

The Student News Site of Campbellsville University

The Campus Times

The Campus Times

Additional details released about alleged sexual assault

Campus officials say there’s no ongoing threat

The person accused of sexually assaulting a person on or near Campbellsville University’s campus on Saturday, March 23, has been banned from campus while the investigation is ongoing, according to university officials.

CU students and employees received an email late Saturday night, March 23, notifying them of an alleged sexual assault that took place on or near campus that morning.

The “timely warning notification,” which was sent at 10:32 p.m., read as follows:

Campbellsville University received a report of an alleged sexual assault on or near our campus early this morning. The allegations are that the victim was lured away from a residence hall to an unknown location on or near our main campus.  All students and employees are advised to be cautious and to refrain from leaving residence halls or other locations unless accompanied by other individuals.  If you become aware of any suspicious conduct, please call 911 or campus security at 270-403-3611.  If you need non-emergency support or assistance, you may contact the Residence Life On-Call number at 270-789-5510. 

University officials said they are limited in the information they can release about the alleged incident, but have shared some additional details.

“After further investigation, the University has determined there is no ongoing threat to the campus community,” Alexandria D. Dalton, assistant director of marketing and communications, wrote in an email on Wednesday morning. “Saturday’s message was sent out of an abundance of caution with the information we had at the time.”

Students and staff, alike, have specifically questioned why the “timely warning notification” was sent out Saturday evening when the alleged sexual assault occurred “early” Saturday morning.

“The timely notice was issued once the University obtained sufficient information regarding the incident and had appropriate information to share with the campus community,” Dalton wrote.

The “timely warning notification” stated the alleged victim was “lured” away from a residence hall to an unknown location on or near main campus.

“Although we are limited in what we can say due to the ongoing process, there is information to suggest that the alleged victim may have been provided misleading information regarding the purpose for leaving with the alleged assailant,” Dalton wrote.

No further information has been provided regarding the “unknown location” the victim was “lured” to, and it is also unknown if the alleged victim was injured or hospitalized.

Dalton mentioned in her email that the annual “Take Back The Night” event is scheduled for 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday, April 5, on Stapp Lawn.

“We are encouraging everyone on campus to attend including our student journalists,” Dalton wrote. “The event will help us provide tools for enhancing safety and support for survivors of sexual assault.”

No further details about this alleged incident are available at this time. More information will be reported as it becomes available.